Two Become One

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Oh What A Week

What a great and productive weekend - what an amazing weekend and what an awesome week. 

Saturday I had an amazing time starting out at my field study with Community Youth Outreach.  It is such an amazing program - bringing in inner city children and teaching them about horticulture.  They are so young and already know so much about growing their own food, recycling, and using compost as soil.  Afterwards, I went and interviewed my grandparents for a class project.  The information they gave me was so interesting!  My grandfather talked about not having indoor plumbing until he got married and moved away, remembering the man coming in and installing electricity in his home, and having to use special stamps to buy food during World War II because of the food shortage.  My grandmother talked about all of the things that she did as a child - organ and piano lessons, singing in the church choir, and beginning hula and tap lessons at the age of four!

Sunday was just as amazing!  I went over to Amy's and we baked cookies - two different kinds.  It was great just getting to spend some time hanging out with my best friend!  Her mom and sister came over, too, so we had a lot of fun catching up, laughing, and baking cookies.  Afterwards I went to my parents' house to do laundry - not always fun, but always a great time to spend with mom and dad!

This week has been crazy busy - but extremely rewarding.  Monday marked the  year anniversary of one of my best friends ever - Jake Anthony Miller - taking his life.  I loved him so much and, although I made it through Monday okay, I broke down on Tuesday night.  I guess you just can't hold grief in.  But God is so good. 

We started small groups this week at work.  My kids at WR had some AMAZINGLY deep questions about God and being a Christian.  I was so proud of their maturity and their attempts to truly understand God and how He wants them to live their lives.  At SH, I only had four young ladies in my small group - but it went so well.  The girls were extremely kind and respectful. One young lady, who I have constantly had trouble with, came in and apologized for her behavior and was a completely different child the rest of the day.  I am praying that God is really moving in her heart and that I will have many more great days pouring into her life. 

Unfortunately, this week I found out my graduation plan - is not God's plan.  I will be taking six hours in the spring, three in the summer, and nine in the fall.  Well - Jeff and I will graduate together in December 2012! 

 Amy and Me Baking Cookies

Jake - During the Good Times

No comments:

Post a Comment