Two Become One

Saturday, September 10, 2011

I Love Productive Weekends

What a great day!  This morning was my first day at Community Youth Outreach.  I'm doing my adolescent field study there and will get to spend 25 hours learning about these kids, getting to know them, and pouring into them - and it was so much fun!  It amazed me how much information these sweet inner city kids had soaked up from Miss Latonia.  At CYO they teach the kids all about horticulture.  They are planting seeds, creating compost, and caring for gardens.  It was so fun having them explain to me exactly what it was they were doing and why!

Afterwards, I was able to have a great time with my grandparents.  I went to their house to do a video interview with them for my Aging and Adulthood class.  How interesting to hear them talk about segregation, integration, and the lack of electricity and indoor plumbing - things my generation cannot fathom!  They gave me some great material for my project and I cannot wait to get started putting it all together. 

Once we were done with the video interview we sat around, discussing life, food, work, and family.  It is so great to have them to pour into my life - I am so blessed to be able to gain such profound wisdom from them both. 

Now I am at home.  Rio is asleep in between my legs (which is insanely uncomfortable, seeing is how I'm sitting Indian style on the couch) and I am working on finishing up some final homework.  I am so excited for my husband to come home, but am not sure I'll be able to stay awake that long tonight!  Maybe I'll clean the kitchen...

No comments:

Post a Comment